Sunday, October 21, 2007

Stingray City

Today is our last day in the Cayman Islands and it was probably one of the best. We took a sail boat/catamaran out to a sandbar in the ocean called Stingray City. Everyone takes there boats out to this sandbar because when you stand on it, it comes up to your waste, and it's where a big group of stingrays hang out because they know they will get fed there. So we all got out, put our snorkeling gear on and hung out with some stingrays. It was really cool! Sophia was a little sad when we first got out there, because Matt was holding her in the water and accidentally got tripped up by a stingray and fell under with her. It wasn't that big of a deal, they didn't go completely under, but enough that she was pretty upset about it. After we got her calmed down we stood out on the bar and watched the stingrays swim around us. There were also some cool fish hanging around too. Matt was brave enough to let one of the boat crew help him hold one of the stingray, I was not so brave and just touched them as they swam by. After hanging out with the stingrays for about an hour, we headed to Rum point and had lunch. Then we boated back home. The boat ride was so nice and relaxing, we were able to sit on a "sugar scoop" off the back of the boat and put our feet in the water while we were cruising. Our camera decided to break yesterday, so we used a disposable today. I won't be able to upload pictures for awhile as I have to get the disposable developed now. (Don't even get me started about the camera! I think it's still under warranty so canon should fix it for free.)
Anyways, tomorrow we head home. I have had a great time here, but it's always nice to sleep in my own bed!
Matt holding a stingray
Sophia and Mommy with our boat in the background
The Family
A stingray swimming by

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always hate the last day of vacation, but it's always nice to be home!